Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
I’ve talked about prior to now that we don’t use microwaves, however I do make one exception. We make home made reusable DIY heating pads which might be simply heated within the microwave. Most of my microwave considerations (primarily that they make meals style horrible) don’t matter for one thing we’re not consuming. So I don’t thoughts utilizing one for a home made heating pad.
DIY Heating Pads
Earlier than I had youngsters, I used an electrical heating blanket. As soon as I conceived my first baby, I seen the warning label cautioned towards use whereas pregnant. There have been additionally warnings of the potential for burns, electrical shock, and fires. Electrical heating pads carry lots of the similar warnings.
I needed to discover a pure different. In faculty, I usually used this sizzling/chilly pack that might be heated in a microwave or put within the freezer. That one lastly bit the mud after faculty, however fortunately, my mother found out a home made model that we’ve been utilizing ever since.
Her home made rice warmth pack is tremendous easy to make and works splendidly. Simply a few minutes within the microwave, and so they keep heat for some much-needed warmth remedy.
How We Use These
I now have a few these, and all of my youngsters have one which they made with my mother. We use them on a regular basis, however a few of my favourite makes use of have been:
- In labor: I had horrible again labor with my final beginning as a result of she determined to reach breech. The one factor that bought me via the again ache and excruciating positions wanted to get her out safely was these warmth packs on my again. They have been superb.
- Chilly nights: As soon as upon a time, not that way back, we lived in a poorly insulated condominium with three youngsters, together with a preemie. It bought actually chilly at evening, and no quantity of operating the heater (regardless of the $400 electrical payments) bought it heat in that condominium. We’d warmth the rice heating pad up every evening and place them in our youngsters’s beds beneath the sheets (however beneath their ft) to maintain them heat whereas they fell asleep.
- Chilly and Flu: Within the unlucky occasion of a chilly or flu, these are fantastic for holding heat and easing sore muscle tissue. These are the opposite issues we do if sickness strikes to hurry restoration.
- Nice sleep: Years in the past, I began sleeping with an ice pack on my head. Bizarre however true. I discovered that it improved my sleep high quality. A DIY rice pack can even double as an ice pack for higher sleep. Now my husband and I regulate our physique temp at evening with the Chilipad.
- Reusable Hand Heaters: Previously, I’ve made little miniature warmth pads with felt and fleece. These are nice to make use of as hand heaters (if we ever get chilly sufficient to want them this yr!).
- Sore Muscle mass: Warmth helps enhance blood movement to achy muscle tissue for soothing reduction after a protracted day. If you could alternate chilly and warmth on a muscle damage, you possibly can put one rice bag within the freezer and one within the microwave, rotating as wanted.
- Ache reduction: DIY heating pads are nice for different varieties of ache reduction. They will additionally assist with migraines and menstrual cramps. Add somewhat lavender important oil for some calming aromatherapy.
Methods to Make a DIY Heating Pad With Rice
You’re going to want rice (after all), cotton cloth, and one thing to stitch with. I exploit low cost white rice as a filler since we’re not consuming it. Should you don’t have a stitching machine, these may be hand sewn, although it received’t be fairly as fast. DIY initiatives like this additionally make nice presents for family and friends at Christmas.
You can also make your home made rice heating pad any measurement or form you need, however I make mine right into a 12×6 inch rectangle.
DIY Warmth Pad With Rice
These rice warmth luggage are a simple approach to make a pure heating pad. Throw it within the freezer for an ice pack too!
Yield: 1 rice bag
- 12 inch sq. piece of cotton cloth or no matter form/measurement you like
- 5 pound bag white rice (may not all be used)
Fold the fabric in half with proper sides collectively. Begin at one of many brief sides and stitch the lengthy facet and a part of the other brief facet, leaving a niche of a number of inches on the final brief facet. That is the place you are going to put the raw rice in.
Flip the material tube inside out in order that the tough ends are hidden.
Fill the tube with rice till it’s about 2/3 full. You may as well add some lavender buds or just a few drops of important oils for a calming expertise.
Fold the remaining facet in in order that the tough ends are hidden and stitch closed.
To make use of: Warmth on excessive within the microwave for 60 seconds or till the specified temperature is reached. The precise time will rely in your microwave.
Easy DIY Rice Heating Pad Variations
There are some nice tutorials on-line for making a very nice trying rice warmth pack. That is one among my favorites. I make nicer ones like that for presents, however for normal dwelling use, these are simpler:
- Use an outdated tube sock – Fill the outdated sock with rice and stitch or tie the tip to make a simple rice sock. A cotton sock is the most suitable choice.
- Use an outdated pillowcase – Simply reduce the pillowcase in half. Use the facet with the underside seam and fill with a few cups of rice. Sew a line all the best way throughout to create a sealed tube, then repeat with one other couple of cups of rice. Repeat till all the factor is full and seam the tip to create a completed rice pack with a number of tubes filled with rice.
- Create a easy sleeve with a chunk of sq. materials – Fold in half and stitch up two of the perimeters, leaving a thinner finish open. Fill with rice and stitch the remaining facet to seal.
Ever made your individual heating pad earlier than? Go away us a remark and make sure you share this submit with a buddy!