Diatomaceous Earth is a non-toxic powder that is commonly used by home owners for the treatment of bed bugs. Initially used as way to control fleas, lice, ticks and other parasites on dogs, this organic dust is now a proven killer of bed bugs.
What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous Earth is a fine powder created by grinding the remains of diatoms, or fossilized freshwater algae. It has many uses including insecticide, absorbent, filtration aid, and is even used in thermal insulation.
The powder works to kill insects by scraping off the bed bug’s waxy outer coating, leading to dehydration of the insect. The time it takes to work will vary from minutes to hours and depends upon the insects’ movements.
There are many home uses of Diatmotaceous powder including:
- Flea & tick preventative
- Treating bed bugs
- Ant & cockroach killer
- Pesticide for organic gardening
When using Diatmotacous Earth in the household, be sure to only use human grade formulas for health and safety reasons.
- Organic and non-toxic
- Pet safe
- Kills insects and larvae on contact
- Safe on the enviroment
Where to Buy Diatomaceous Earth
Diatomaceous earth can be found for sale at many specialty pet stores in the supplements area. For the lowest price, I recommend shopping online because the pet store prices I have seen are much more expensive.
How to use Diatomaceous Earth for Treating Bed Bugs
Diatomaceous Earth is a natural non-toxic treatment of bed bugs that is great for people with pets, children, or for people who do not want to use harsh chemicals in their home.
Tips for use:
- Use the powder around doorways and other areas of the home where bed bugs could gain access(this especially a good idea in apartment buildings.)
- Sprinkle powder around the outside of rooms, under carpets, and in closets.
- Use with windows and doorways closed when you home is calm. This will reduce stirring up of the dust into the air.